Hundreds of thousands of people (100k estimated their president; 500k said their Sen. Youri Latortue) are feared dead.
Many people are still buried in the rubble. Many need to be rescued for a second life or for a decent burial at least.
Many who have survived badly need manpower, medicine, clothing, food and clean water.
Many have lost their homes and their loved ones.
It pains me a lot while sitting and grumbling about the cold weather here while typing this, because I realize this is all I could do–to stare at the news and grumble and hope and pray that this will be all right.
- International Committee on Red Cross set humanitarian actions in Haiti’s catastrophic earthquake. To help, contact them at 527-0000 or dial 143.
- Red Cross Operation Center with the following numbers: * 143 * 527-00-00 * 524-57-87 * 666-50-34 * 994-05-03
- American Red Cross Contact 800-HELP-NOW. Donations can be made online or $10 donations can be made by texting “HAITI” to 90999
- CNN Impacts
SMART SUBSCRIBERS CAN HELP HAITI Earthquake Victims thru Phil Red Cross. Txt HAITIto 4483. Ex.HAITI 50. donation amounts: 10, 25, 50, 100.
- HAITI QUAKE: 500,000 feared dead (Bodies lay everywhere; 3-M people need help
- The Haiti earthquake in depth : Nature News
- Geologists: Haiti earthquake was matter of when, not if.
The Philippines has been hit by nature’s fury last year, but this is a far greater strike. I hope we would all learn from this. We (govt, govt, people) should impose preventive measures: to protect nature, strengthen our buildings and infrastructures, etc etc before another blow will strike us.
With all my hopes and prayers.
No man is an island entire of itself;
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man’s death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.